For the latest information regarding the pandemic, we encourage you to visit the CDC website, while local information can be found at the CT DPH site. We will also update the following information regarding the status of CT campgrounds as it changes.
March 27, 2020–Updated April 7, 2020, April 9, 2020, April 20, 2020 and May 8, 2020
Key Points of the May 8 update: Governor Lamont’s daily briefing specifically addresses allowing CT campgrounds to open on May 20 with outdoor activities (see the 51:45 mark of his speech). We are awaiting specifics regarding facilities and recreational activities, but anticipate opening for Memorial Day Weekend. We have been told that details will be provided on Monday, May 18.
Key Points of the April 20 update: Although there has been some recent confusion regarding the operating status of campgrounds in CT, clarification was issued today. Essentially, it allows campgrounds to permit seasonal campers and essential workers to utilize their fully-contained RVs in accordance with all applicable Covid-19 standards. A complete copy of the letter can be found at Family Campgrounds – COVID 19 Updated Guidance
Key Points of April 9 update: The Governor has extended the closure of non-essential businesses until May 20. CCOA has informed us that SEASONALS are permitted to utilize their campsites and RVs in a regular manner, but only in accordance with all other prohibitions on social gatherings. All other restrictions and Executive orders are still in place. All campgrounds must continue to adhere to previous Executive Orders and keep all public areas/activities (Rec Halls, event spaces, restaurants, sports fields etc.) closed and enforce the no more than 5 people together at the same time in your public areas. We remain optimistic that CT campgrounds will be open for the Memorial Day Weekend, but perhaps with restrictions on gatherings.
Key Points of April 7 update: Mandated closures extended until April 30. Masks advised. Essential workers or those with no other viable residence MAY be granted an exemption (such as traveling nurses assigned to the area.
Dear Sunfox Campers:
We hope everyone is safe and healthy as we all work together and try to navigate these unfamiliar waters. While we have been preparing for our expected opening just one week away, with both the usual projects (water breaks discovered while activating the systems, tree trimming etc), as well as new installations such as our GaGa Ball Pit and our blue rubber mulch at the Jumping Pillow, we have been awaiting guidance from federal, state and local officials regarding the status of CT campgrounds.
As you know, the Governor of CT recently ordered the closing of all non-essential businesses. Although the initial list was interpreted to permit campgrounds to be open under the “hotels and other accommodations” exemption, we were just informed that campgrounds are currently defined as non-essential. While the CCOA (CT Campground Owners Association) is working diligently to reverse this ruling to allow our opening with certain health and safety modifications similar to what has allowed golf courses to remain open, we do not know when (or if) this change will occur. Based on the current order, CT campgrounds are to remain closed until May 20, 2020. We will remain optimistic that we can open at that time or sooner, but must also be realistic in understanding that an extension is entirely possible. Therefore, please be advised of the following:
- While Sunfox Campground is currently closed for overnight recreational camping until at least May 20 (unless the ruling is reversed), we will continue to serve our year-round campers, as this is their “temporary home.”
- Our seasonal campers…updated April 9–CCOA has informed us that SEASONALS are permitted to utilize their campsites and RVs in a regular manner, but only in accordance with all other prohibitions on social gatherings. All other restrictions and Executive orders are still in place. All campgrounds must continue to adhere to previous Executive Orders and keep all public areas/activities (Rec Halls, event spaces, restaurants, sports fields etc.) closed and enforce the no more than 5 people together at the same time in your public areas. All public restrooms and showers must remain closed. Any contact with the family campground’s office shall be remote, if possible. Please be advised that all social distancing requirements are in place, masks are advised and no facilities will be open, such as the restrooms, store (including the Slush machine), and recreational facilities (jumping pillow and playground). Based on the governor’s ruling, while the pond is open for fishing (as with the State Parks), we are delaying the trout stocking until a time closer to our opening. Also, while we appreciate those who have made their scheduled seasonal payments in a timely manner, if your income has been impacted by the pandemic, please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need an extension for any remaining balance, as mortgages and groceries must be your first priority.
- For our campers who have reserved a short “spring special” for April 3 until May 17, we will need to cancel your reservation. If you have the extended option until June 14, the rate would be reduced from $1199 to $499 for May 20 until June 14 (still a savings over the 3 weekends included). If you wish to cancel your extended spring special at this time, we fully understand. If you have any future reservation, we would prefer to apply any deposit to another reservation, or offer it as a full credit toward a future stay, either this year or next (in which case we would accept those reservations in December). However, if your current financial situation necessitates a refund, we will waive our 30-day notice policy and refund the deposit, and will reduce our cancel fee from $20 to $10, simply to cover our processing costs.
- If you have a short-term reservation prior to May 20, unless you are an essential worker assigned to this region, or you have no other viable residence, we will need to cancel your reservation. Please give us a call if you have paid a deposit so that we may process your refund, or apply the deposit to a future stay. If your short-term reservations are for an arrival date of AFTER May 20, we are asking that you wait for any subsequent updates from our health officials and political leaders.
As with most small business, we are being significantly impacted by this pandemic, but want to stress to all of our campers that the economic costs can’t overshadow the health of our family, friends and society as a whole. We have begun to apply for any available SBA loans and other assistance, but as you know, these are not grants, but rather loans that may take some time to be approved and received, and must be repaid. We expect these funds to allow us to continue to function at a time when very little income is being received, but mortgages, utilities and other bills remain due.
Please feel free to call us if you have any questions. We are attempting to reach as many campers as possible via Facebook, so please feel free to share, and we have sent out an email as well.
Dave, Jen and the entire Sunfox Family